Re: foreign table: WARNING: problem in alloc set ExecutorState detected write past chunk end in block ... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Kupershmidt
Subject Re: foreign table: WARNING: problem in alloc set ExecutorState detected write past chunk end in block ...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 6:29 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy@gmail.com> writes:
>> While trying to test out the "EXPLAIN and nfiltered, take two" patch
>> with its test file "explaintesti", I noticed I was getting a warning
>> message like:
>
>>  WARNING:  problem in alloc set ExecutorState: detected write past
>> chunk end in block 0x101134e00, chunk 0x101134f38
>
>> I got the same warning on unpatched git head as well.
>
> Can't reproduce that here, on either 32-bit or 64-bit hardware.
> However, this sort of issue is often exceedingly sensitive to
> environment and build options.  What's your platform, what did you use
> for configure options, etc?

I got the warning on OS X 10.6 64-bit. The only configure options I
used were --prefix=/path/ --enable-cassert --enable-debug.

> [ thinks for a bit... ]  It could easily also depend on the precise
> lengths of strings being pushed around.  What's the exact length of
> the foreign table pathname you actually used?  And is that the exact
> dummy file you used?

I saw the warning first with my actual /etc/passwd file, which had
those comment lines to trigger the error, while trying Marko's
explaintesti sample file[1]. Then I reproduced the problem on git head
with that dummy file at location
"/Users/josh/pg_permanent/warning_alloc/dummy_passwd".

FWIW, I can't reproduce the problem on a 64-bit Ubuntu 11.04 machine either.

Josh

--
[1] http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2011-09/msg00434.php