Re: PASSWORD vs. md5('somepass') - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Josh Kupershmidt
Subject Re: PASSWORD vs. md5('somepass')
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 8:28 AM, Alexander Reichstadt <lxr@mac.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I look for a way to reproduce the encrypted string stored as a password by means other than using the CREATE ROLE
command.

> When using CREATE ROLE........PASSWORD 'somepass' the resulting string for rolpassword in pg_authid always starts
withmd5, suggesting it would create some md5 string. So I thought to use SELECT md5('somepass') to get the same.

> But the two strings differ. Is there a function that does that outside the create role context?

See pg_authid's explanation of the rolpassword column:
  http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/catalog-pg-authid.html

which you can reproduce via:
  SELECT 'md5' || MD5(role_password_here || role_name_here);

Josh