Re: About Large object Storage - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rémi Cura
Subject Re: About Large object Storage
Date
List pgsql-general
Hey,
about your backup,
you must have use plain text backup,
writing in ascii to represent binary data is costly (and pointless?).
You can use compressed version of it.
About the size of your database,
maybe you can try a vacuum full before measuring the size?

Cheers,
Rémi-C

Hello,

I am using postgresql 9.3 in Windows. I take data backup using pg_dump. The backup file size is 5 MB only. After that I insert 8 images using large object.

The total size of 8 images are 24 MB. After insert large object only, I take data backup using pg_dump. Now the backup file size becomes 246 MB. I really shocked. so I check database size using the following query

SELECT pg_size_pretty(pg_database_size('testdb'));

The return value is 710 MB.

What is the problem? How DB size increased extremely?

Thanks for your Suggestions.