Re: About Large object Storage - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: About Large object Storage
Date
List pgsql-general
Kalai R <softlinne.kv@gmail.com> writes:
> I am using postgresql 9.3 in Windows. I take data backup using pg_dump. The
> backup file size is 5 MB only. After that I insert 8 images using large
> object.

> The total size of 8 images are 24 MB. After insert large object only, I
> take data backup using pg_dump. Now the backup file size becomes 246 MB.

The size of the output file will be about twice the length of the large
object(s), since plain-text pg_dump format prints the large object
contents in hex.  I'd take a second look at exactly how you inserted
the large objects; it seems highly likely that you inserted them multiple
times or bloated their contents somehow.

            regards, tom lane