ERROR: COPY escape must be a single one-byte character(multi-delimiter appears to work on Postgres 9.0 but does not on Postgres 9.2) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Brandon Ragland
Subject ERROR: COPY escape must be a single one-byte character(multi-delimiter appears to work on Postgres 9.0 but does not on Postgres 9.2)
Date
Responses Re: ERROR: COPY escape must be a single one-byte character(multi-delimiter appears to work on Postgres 9.0 but does not on Postgres9.2)  (Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>)
Re: ERROR: COPY escape must be a single one-byte character(multi-delimiter appears to work on Postgres 9.0 but does not on Postgres9.2)  (Nicolas Paris <nicolas.paris@riseup.net>)
List pgsql-general
Hello,

I have a Talend enterprise job that loads data into a PostgreSQL database via the COPY command. When migrating to a new server this command fails with the following error message: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException:ERROR: COPY escape must be a single one-byte character

The thing is, I looked over the documentation for both Postgres 9.0 and 9.2. Both documentations say that multi-byte delimiters are not allowed. So I'm very confused on why this job works perfectly on Postgres 9.0 but not on 9.2.

I am unable to edit this Talend job, as it's very old and we do not have the source code for the job anymore. I am unable to see what the actual delimiter is. I am also unable to see exactly how the COPY command is being run, such as whether it's pushing directly to the server via the Postgres driver, or if it's created a temporary CSV file somewhere and then loading the data into the server. I believe the reason we have multi byte delimiters setup is due to the use of various special characters in a few of the columns for multiple tables.

I am not aware of any edits to the source code of the old 9.0 Postgres server.

The reason we are migrating servers is due to the end of life for CentOS 5. The new server runs CentOS 7. I believe that both servers are using the default Postgres versions that come in the default CentOS repositories. I know for sure that the CentOS 7 server is indeed running the default Postgres version, as I installed it myself through yum.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, is there a way to copy the old Postgres server, dependencies, and executables to our new server, in case the source was modified?

Brandon Ragland
Software Engineer
BREAKFRONT SOFTWARE
Office: 704.688.4085 | Mobile: 240.608.9701 | Fax: 704.973.0607