Re: Priority table or Cache table - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Haribabu Kommi
Subject Re: Priority table or Cache table
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 11:38 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Haribabu Kommi <kommi.haribabu@gmail.com> writes:
> I want to propose a new feature called "priority table" or "cache table".
> This is same as regular table except the pages of these tables are having
> high priority than normal tables. These tables are very useful, where a
> faster query processing on some particular tables is expected.

Why exactly does the existing LRU behavior of shared buffers not do
what you need?

Lets assume a database having 3 tables, which are accessed regularly. The user is expecting a faster query results on one table.
Because of LRU behavior which is not happening some times. So if we just separate those table pages into an another buffer
pool then all the pages of that table resides in memory and gets faster query processing.

Regards,
Hari Babu
Fujitsu Australia