- Mailing list pgsql-general

From Carlos Henrique Reimer
Subject
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

Currently, our application is still using PG 8.2 and we are trying to use 9.2 but there are some problems related with the implicit casts removed on 8.3.

Example:

1) select 'teste'||1;
2) select trim(1);

Select 1 & 2 does run fine on 8.2 but in 9.2 select 1 is ok and select 2 got an error due the fact implicit cast were removed on PG 8.3:

ERROR:  function pg_catalog.btrim(integer) does not exist
LINE 1: select trim(1);
               ^
HINT:  No function matches the given name and argument types. You might need to add explicit type casts.

********** Error **********

ERROR: function pg_catalog.btrim(integer) does not exist
SQL state: 42883
Hint: No function matches the given name and argument types. You might need to add explicit type casts.
Character: 8

Recreated the implicit cast for select 2:

CREATE FUNCTION pg_catalog.text(integer) RETURNS text STRICT IMMUTABLE LANGUAGE SQL AS 'SELECT textin(int4out($1));';
CREATE CAST (integer AS text) WITH FUNCTION pg_catalog.text(integer) AS IMPLICIT;

Now select 2 works fine but select 1 gets an error:

ERROR:  operator is not unique: unknown || integer
LINE 1: select 'teste'||1;
                      ^
HINT:  Could not choose a best candidate operator. You might need to add explicit type casts.

ERROR: operator is not unique: unknown || integer
SQL state: 42725
Hint: Could not choose a best candidate operator. You might need to add explicit type casts.
Character: 15

Is there a way to make both selects work on PG 9.2 without explicit casts?

Thank you in advace!

--
Reimer
47-3347-1724 47-9183-0547 msn: carlos.reimer@opendb.com.br