Re: Best way to reduce server rounds getting big BLOBs - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Best way to reduce server rounds getting big BLOBs
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 11:31 AM, Jorge Arévalo
<jorgearevalo@libregis.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to know what's the best way to reduce the number of server rounds in a libpq C app that fetches BLOBs from a
remotePostgreSQL server.

> About 75% of the time my app uses is spent querying database. I basically get binary objects (images). I have to
fetchall the images from a table. This table can be really big (in number of rows) and each image can be big too.

#1 thing to make sure of when getting big blobs is that you are
fetching data in binary.  If you are not, do so before changing
anything else (I wrote a library to help do that, libpqtypes).

> I guess I should go for cursors. If I understood the concept of "cursor", basically the query is executed, a
ResultSetis generated inside the database server, and the client receives a "pointer" to this ResultSet. You can get
allthe rows by moving this pointer over the ResultSet, calling the right functions. But you still have to go to the
databasefor each chunk of data. Am I right?

cursors are a way to page through a query result without fetching all
the data at once.  this would be most useful if you are processing one
row at a time on the client side.  but if the client needs all the
data held in memory, cursors will only help in terms of reducing the
temporary memory demands while doing the transfer.  So it's hard to
say if it's worth using them until you describe the client side
requirements a little better.

merlin