Re: Postgres restore issue - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Narayanan V
Subject Re: Postgres restore issue
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi Anand,

I was unsuccessful in trying to reproduce this with a database and pg_dump
from 8.3.7 and a pg_restore of 8.4.22.

I do get the following error during the restore on an empty database, however,
I think we can safely ignore this.

pg_restore: dropping TABLE employees
pg_restore: [archiver (db)] Error from TOC entry 1465; 1259 16391 TABLE employees kannan
pg_restore: [archiver (db)] could not execute query: ERROR:  table "employees" does not exist
    Command was: DROP TABLE public.employees;

As evident the above error happens because the employees table does not exist in an empty database.

I think I would follow Heikki's comments and check for errors during the schema restore first.

Although I am not sure it would make much of a difference I would suggest you try the --create (-C)
option. Please note that this option tries to delete and re-create the database itself hence you will
need to supply some other database to the -d option.

Thank you,
Narayanan

On Sat, Oct 27, 2018 at 3:30 PM Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka@iki.fi> wrote:
On 25 October 2018 20:27:07 WEST, "Vaidyanathaswamy, Anandsaikrishnan" <avaidyanathaswamy@corelogic.com> wrote:
>We have postgres running in 8.4.22, We have back up from 8.3.7
>When I try to restore, All the tables are not restored, almost 60% of
>the tables not exist, Failed with the following errors.
>
>Any help on this much appreciated.
>
>I am using the below command for pg_restore
>
>nohup pg_restore -c -U postgres  -d gpl_maps
>~/gcs/PostgreSQL/gpl_maps_devgm01.bkup &
>

>pg_restore: [archiver (db)] Error from TOC entry 7580; 0 49537695 TABLE
>DATA bldg_footprints gpl-layer-loader
>pg_restore: [archiver (db)] could not execute query: ERROR:  relation
>"bldg_footprints" does not exist
>Command was: COPY bldg_footprints (gid, id, inbld_fid, bld_status,

These errors are coming from restoring the data. Were there any errors before these, from the CREATE TABLE commands? You could try using the -s option, to restore just the schema first, and check if all the tables exist after that. You could also run it without the username and database options, to create a human-readable SQL file. That might give a better clue on what's going on.

- Heikki