Re: Need solution for weekly database "snapshot" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Moshe Jacobson
Subject Re: Need solution for weekly database "snapshot"
Date
Re: Need solution for weekly database "snapshot"
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 12:14 PM, Karsten Hilbert <Karsten.Hilbert@gmx.net> wrote:
> We have a report in our system that is pulled many times each week, but
> needs to be based off data from Sunday at noon. So every Sunday at noon, we
> back up our main database and restore it into a new reporting snapshot
> database.

Setup a slave.

Not bad, but the transaction logs would fill up the file system. Besides, it would not be worth it to set up a whole database cluster just for this purpose.

Any alternatives?

--
Moshe Jacobson
Nead Werx, Inc. | Manager of Systems Engineering

"Quality is not an act, it is a habit." -- Aristotle