Re: [HACKERS] UPDATE of partition key - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Khandekar
Subject Re: [HACKERS] UPDATE of partition key
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 24 May 2017 at 20:16, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 8:14 PM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Apart from above, there is one open issue [1]
>>

> Forget to mention the link, doing it now.
>
> [1] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAA4eK1KEZQ%2BCyXbBzfn1jFHoEfa_OemDLhLyy7xfD1QUZLo1DQ%40mail.gmail.com

I am not sure right now whether making the t_ctid of such tuples to
Invalid would be a right option, especially because I think there can
be already some other meaning if t_ctid is not valid. But may be we
can check this more.

If we decide to error out using some way, I would be inclined towards
considering re-using some combinations of infomask bits (like
HEAP_MOVED_OFF as suggested upthread) rather than using invalid t_ctid
value.

But I think, we can also take step-by-step approach even for v11. If
we agree that it is ok to silently do the updates as long as we
document the behaviour, we can go ahead and do this, and then as a
second step, implement error handling as a separate patch. If that
patch does not materialize, we at least have the current behaviour
documented.

Ideally, I think we would have liked if we were somehow able to make
the row-movement UPDATE itself abort if it finds any normal
updates waiting for it to finish, rather than making the normal
updates fail because a row-movement occurred . But I think we will
have to live with it.