Re: [HACKERS] UPDATE of partition key - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Khandekar
Subject Re: [HACKERS] UPDATE of partition key
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 17 May 2017 at 17:29, Rushabh Lathia <rushabh.lathia@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 12:06 PM, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 4:17 PM, Amit Khandekar <amitdkhan.pg@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Option 3
>> > --------
>> >
>> > BR, AR delete triggers on source partition
>> > BR, AR insert triggers on destination partition.
>> >
>> > Rationale :
>> > Since the update is converted to delete+insert, just skip the update
>> > triggers completely.
>>
>> +1 to option3
>> Generally, BR triggers are used for updating the ROW value and AR
>> triggers to VALIDATE the row or to modify some other tables.  So it
>> seems that we can fire the triggers what is actual operation is
>> happening at the partition level.
>>
>> For source partition, it's only the delete operation (no update
>> happened) so we fire delete triggers and for the destination only
>> insert operations so fire only inserts triggers.  That will keep the
>> things simple.  And, it will also be in sync with the actual partition
>> level delete/insert operations.
>>
>> We may argue that user might have declared only update triggers and as
>> he has executed the update operation he may expect those triggers to
>> get fired.  But, I think this behaviour can be documented with the
>> proper logic that if the user is updating the partition key then he
>> must be ready with the Delete/Insert triggers also, he can not rely
>> only upon update level triggers.
>>

> Right, that is even my concern. That user might had declared only update
> triggers and when user executing UPDATE its expect it to get call - but
> with option 3 its not happening.

Yes that's the issue with option 3. A user wants to make sure update
triggers run, and here we are skipping the BEFORE update triggers. And
user might even modify rows.

Now regarding the AR update triggers .... The user might be more
concerned with the non-partition-key columns, and the UPDATE of
partition key typically would update only the partition key and not
the other column. So for typical case, it makes sense to skip the
UPDATE AR trigger. But if the UPDATE contains both partition key as
well as other column updates, it makes sense to fire AR UPDATE
trigger. One thing we can do is restrict an UPDATE to have both
partition key and non-partition key column updates. So this way we can
always skip the AR update triggers for row-movement updates, unless
may be fire AR UPDATE triggers *only* if they are created using
"BEFORE UPDATE OF <column_name>" and the column is the partition key.

Between skipping delete-insert triggers versus skipping update
triggers, I would go for skipping delete-insert triggers. I think we
cannot skip BR update triggers because that would be a correctness
issue.

From user-perspective, I think the user would like to install a
trigger that would fire if any of the child tables get modified. But
because there is no provision to install a common trigger, the user
has to install the same trigger on every child table. In that sense,
it might not matter whether we fire AR UPDATE trigger on old partition
or new partition.