Re: (SOLVED)How To Install Extension Via Script File? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Don Parris
Subject Re: (SOLVED)How To Install Extension Via Script File?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 10:05 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Chris Travers <chris.travers@gmail.com> writes:
> As for whether UTF-8 is the default, it is in many cases, but I remember
> struggling with the fact that a few Linux distros still default to
> SQL-ASCII.  Ultimately this is something of a packaging issue and the
> default may be set at the package level.

Actually, the default is taken from the locale environment that initdb
sees.  So it's a question of what the distro initializes LANG to (and
whether you've changed that, either system-wide or for the postgres user).

                        regards, tom lane

I'd like to call this one solved - at least mostly.  I am not sure what happened before, but when I tried installing the ltree module on template1 previously, it did not seem to make any difference when I created a new DB.  I could not create an ltree field.  Fast forward to now, and (with a fresh postgres server) installed ltree on template1 and then connected and successfully created a test db (using the "-e unicode" option), along with a table using the ltree datatype.

This actually resolves the core issue - being able to create new databases and use the ltree data type.

Two related points remain a bit confusing, but I will read up more and re-post if I cannot figure them out.

Thanks all!
Don
--
D.C. Parris, FMP, Linux+, ESL Certificate
Minister, Security/FM Coordinator, Free Software Advocate