Re: Locale Issue - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Don Parris
Subject Re: Locale Issue
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 5:12 PM, Vincent Veyron <vv.lists@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
Le jeudi 22 août 2013 à 11:29 -0400, Don Parris a écrit :

>   Still, how could I have made UTF-8 the default encoding at install
> time?

I did several recent installations of Postgresql on Debian Wheezy with
UTF8 and LATIN9, and my system's encoding was used every time.

Installation steps outlined below.

Before you install Postgresql, make sure your systems encoding is set to
UTF-8, which you can check with :
locale -a

If it's not, run :
dpkg-reconfigure locales

and select UTF-8 for your language.

Use apt-get to install Postgresql :
apt-get install postgresql postgresql-client

I'm not sure if Kubuntu adds some overhead to the installation process.
You might want to try a regular debian install and add the KDE desktop
to it.

Thanks Vincent.  locale showed everything *except* LC_ALL as being en_US.UTF-8.  LC_ALL was empty.  I can only guess that the LC_ALL setting may have played a part in the problem.  See my previous e-mail (sent just a  few minutes before this one).  I may have also been fine if that system had not lost connectivity.  Trying out things on OpenSUSE 12.3, I do have SSH connectivity and the Postgres server came up with template1 encoded as UTF-8 by default.  I'll test out the pgsql remote connectivity soon as well.