Re: [JDBC] Regarding GSoc Application - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: [JDBC] Regarding GSoc Application
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 9:15 AM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:

> On 04/10/2012 09:48 AM, Merlin Moncure wrote:

>>> I'd say forget SPI - I don't think it's going to help you here. Just
>>> concentrate on getting the functionality via a PL/Java wrapper. I
>>> wouldn't
>>> worry too much about jdbc style URLs either, since logically I think
>>> you'd
>>> want to specify the connection parameters via server and FDW options as
>>> in
>>> my example above - that way it would be consistent with other FDWs. But
>>> that's a piece of bikeshedding for now. Basically, you want to implement
>>> the
>>> handler function to start with.
>>
>> how do you cross from FDW into a pl/java routine without SPI?
>>

> Add the FDW handler as a sibling function of the function call handler. At
> least that would be my first approach to writing a DBI::DBD FDW wrapper for
> plperl, which I naturally know rather better than the PL/Java code.

right -- well looking at plperl.c, I take it you are meaning to invoke
(or write a similar function to) the plperl_call_handler, right?  hm
-- if you could do that then yes, that would work for pl/java as well
and it would bypass the SPI interface.  this is avoiding the public
APIs, so it's going to take some time to figure out how to set up the
call and walk the result since I don't know how to do that off the top
of my head.

merlin