Re: JSON for PG 9.2 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: JSON for PG 9.2
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 4:02 PM, Dimitri Fontaine
<dimitri@2ndquadrant.fr> wrote:> to add some confusion on the
implementation choice, because it
> looks damn too easy now… Guile 2.0 offers an implementation of the> ECMAscript language and plscheme already exists
asa PostgreSQL PL> extension for integrating with Guile.

TBH, I think that's PFC (pretty cool).
On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 6:41 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> We can hopefully get around this for the extensions in contrib (and
> reasonably well has already), but few large companies are going to be
> happy to go to pgxn and download an extension that has a single
> maintainer (not "the team", and in most cases not even "a team"),
> usually no defined lifecycle, no support, etc. (I'm pretty sure you
> won't get support included for random pgxn modules when you buy a
> contract from EDB, or CMD, or us, or PGX, or anybody really - wheras
> if it the datatype is in core, you *will* get this)

100% agree on all points.  with the new extension system, contrib
modules that are packaged with the core system can be considered to be
in core because they are:
*) documented in standard docs
*) supported and bugfixed with postgresql releases
*) ready to be used without compiler support or even shell access
through most binary distributions

One small note about the json type being an extension -- this probably
means the json type oid won't be fixed -- not a huge deal but it could
affect some corner cases with binary format consumers.

merlin