Re: Request: pg_cancel_backend variant that handles 'idle in transaction' sessions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Request: pg_cancel_backend variant that handles 'idle in transaction' sessions
Date
Re: Request: pg_cancel_backend variant that handles 'idle in transaction' sessions  (Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 10:33 PM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 7:56 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com>
> wrote:

>>> What exactly do we want to define session_idle_timeout?  Some
>>> possibilities:
>>> a. Reset the session related variables like transaction, prepared
>>> statements, etc. and retain it for connection pool kind of stuff
>>> b. Exit from the session
>>

>> b is safe state - and currently it is only one state, that we can forward
>> to client side (with keep_alive packets) - so I prefer b
>>

> Okay, I think one more point to consider is that it would be preferable to
> have such an option for backend sessions and not for other processes
> like WalSender.

All right...I see the usage..  I withdraw my objection to 'session'
prefix then now that I understand the case.  So, do you agree that:

*) session_idle_timeout: dumps the backend after X time in 'idle' state
and*) transaction_timeout: cancels transaction after X time, regardless of state

sounds good?

merlin