Re: postgres 9.3 vs. 9.4 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: postgres 9.3 vs. 9.4
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 7:58 AM, Mkrtchyan, Tigran
<tigran.mkrtchyan@desy.de> wrote:
> Hi Merlin,
>
> you are right, in 9.4 the debug_assertions are on:
>
> # /etc/init.d/postgresql-9.4 start
> Starting postgresql-9.4 service:                           [  OK  ]
> # psql -U postgres
> psql (9.4beta2)
> Type "help" for help.
>
> postgres=# select name,setting from pg_settings where name='debug_assertions';
>        name       | setting
> ------------------+---------
>  debug_assertions | on
> (1 row)

(plz try to not top-post).

That's not not really unexpected: 9.4 is still in beta.  If you're
just doing raw performance testing consider building a postgres
instance from source (but, instead of compiling into /usr/local/bin,
I'd keep it all in private user folder for easy removal).

For example, if I downloaded the source into /home/mmoncure/pgdev/src,
i'd approximately do:

cd /home/mmoncure/pgdev/src
./configure --prefix=/home/mmoncure/pgdev
# if configure gripes about missing readline, go grab the
libreadline-dev rpm etc and repeat above
make -j4 && make install
export PATH=/home/mmoncure/pgdev/bin:$PATH
export PGDATA=/home/mmoncure/pgdev/data
# use C locale.  may not be appropriate in your case
initdb --no-locale --encoding=UTF8
pg_ctl start

This should suffice any beta performance testing you need to do.  When
9.4 proper comes out, just stop the database and kill the pgdev folder
(taking a backup first if you need to preserve stuff).

merlin