Re: PostreSQL v9.2 uses a lot of memory in Windows XP - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: PostreSQL v9.2 uses a lot of memory in Windows XP
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 8:17 AM, Wu Ming <rdyf4ever@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had installed postgreSQL v9.2 in Windows XP SP3.
>
> My PC specs:
> Processor: Pentium Dual Core 2.09 GHz
> RAM: 2GB
>
> The postgreSQL is run as windows service (manual).
>
> The problem is the postgreSQL service uses a lot of memory and lags
> the OS if running in long time (about 2 hours or more) so I had to
> restart the postgreSQL service everytime it happened. I never do any
> big querying process so far. I only ever run it for adempiere ERP
> software and a small struts 2 project.
>
> See this screenshot link from the Process Explorer:
>
> http://i45.tinypic.com/vr4t3b.png
>
> You can see that there are a lot of threads spawned. Is the threads
> that caused the high memory usage?
>
> Is there a way to decrease the memory usage?

I don't think memory usage is all that high.  You've got less than
50mb reserved in memory which is not outrageous for a database server
(that said, windows per process memory usage is higher than *nix for
various reasons).  High virtual memory sizes are  due to shared memory
implementation and should not be of large concern.  Albe made some
good suggestions, but you can also disable autovacuum which would
eliminate one of the spawned processes at the expense of making all
vacuum and analyze operations manual. You used to also be able to
disable statistics gathering, but AIUI that's no longer possible.

merlin