Re: PostreSQL v9.2 uses a lot of memory in Windows XP - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Albe Laurenz
Subject Re: PostreSQL v9.2 uses a lot of memory in Windows XP
Date
List pgsql-performance
Wu Ming wrote:
> I had installed postgreSQL v9.2 in Windows XP SP3.
>
> My PC specs:
> Processor: Pentium Dual Core 2.09 GHz
> RAM: 2GB
>
> The postgreSQL is run as windows service (manual).
>
> The problem is the postgreSQL service uses a lot of memory and lags
> the OS if running in long time (about 2 hours or more) so I had to
> restart the postgreSQL service everytime it happened. I never do any
> big querying process so far. I only ever run it for adempiere ERP
> software and a small struts 2 project.
>
> See this screenshot link from the Process Explorer:
>
> http://i45.tinypic.com/vr4t3b.png
>
> You can see that there are a lot of threads spawned. Is the threads
> that caused the high memory usage?
>
> Is there a way to decrease the memory usage?

Is the machine dedicated to PostgreSQL?

What did you set the following patameters to:

shared_buffers
max_connections
work_mem
maintenance_work_mem

You probably need to reduce some of these settings.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe