Re: Function to get size of notification queue? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Function to get size of notification queue?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 2:12 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Brendan Jurd wrote:
>> Hi Kevin,
>>
>> I never found a direct solution to this problem.  I still feel that a
>> function to find the size of the notification queue would be a handy
>> feature to have, and I would be willing to take a shot at writing such a
>> feature.  However, given the <tumbleweed/> response to my original email,
>> it's likely that effort would be a waste of time.
>
> I think tumbleweed responses are more in line with "hmm, this guy might
> well be right, but I don't know right now. <next email>".  When people
> come up with really useless proposals, they tend to figure out pretty
> quickly.

+1

It took me a lot longer than it should have to figure this out, but
lack of comment does not in any way indicate a response is bad.  Most
commonly it means, "interesting idea, why don't you code it up and see
what happens?".  Suggestions, even very good ones (except when related
to bona fide bugs) are remarkably unlikely to elicit, "good idea,
let's do that!".   A lot of this has to do with years of
micro-optimization in terms of handling email and some gentle subtle
nudges to do more of the homework yourself.

merlin