Re: Proof of concept: standalone backend with full FE/BE protocol - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Proof of concept: standalone backend with full FE/BE protocol
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 6:06 AM, Dimitri Fontaine
<dimitri@2ndquadrant.fr> wrote:
>> But: I very, very much agree with the other concerns around this. This
>> should be a patch to fix single user mode, not one to make postgres into
>> a single process database. It's not, and trying to make it by using
>> single user mode for it will start to hinder development of normal
>> postgres because we suddenly need to be concerned about performance and
>> features in situations where we previously weren't.
>
> +1
>
> Maybe what needs to happen to this patch is away to restrict its usage
> to --single. I'm thinking that postgres --single maybe could be made to
> fork the server process underneath the psql controler client process
> transparently.

I personally would prefer not to do that.  My main non-administrative
interest in this mode is doing things like benchmarking protocol
overhead.  I'm OK with not supporting (and optimizing) for single user
code paths but I don't like the idea of building walls that serve no
purpose other than to make it difficult for other people mess around.
Just document strenuously that this mode is not intended for
application bundling and move on...

merlin