Re: Proof of concept: standalone backend with full FE/BE protocol - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dimitri Fontaine
Subject Re: Proof of concept: standalone backend with full FE/BE protocol
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I think fixing single user mode to work halfway reasonable is enough
> justification for the feature. Having to deal with that when solving
> critical issues is just embarassing.

+1

> But: I very, very much agree with the other concerns around this. This
> should be a patch to fix single user mode, not one to make postgres into
> a single process database. It's not, and trying to make it by using
> single user mode for it will start to hinder development of normal
> postgres because we suddenly need to be concerned about performance and
> features in situations where we previously weren't.

+1

Maybe what needs to happen to this patch is away to restrict its usage
to --single. I'm thinking that postgres --single maybe could be made to
fork the server process underneath the psql controler client process
transparently.

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine