Re: Trying to learn the PL/pgsql procedural language - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Keith
Subject Re: Trying to learn the PL/pgsql procedural language
Date
List pgsql-novice
This is actually a great introductory book and only 2 years old.

http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920025061.do

It's short and not heavy on details, but I found it covers a vast majority of the questions I see people new to postgresql often ask. Once you're done that, as David said, the documentation is very good. You just have to get used to where everything is and know what you're looking for.

On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 11:53 PM, David G Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:
John R. Sowden wrote
> I have been a foxpro/dos programmer for my small business for about 35
> years.  I use linux for all but database stuff.  For db I use
> foxpro/dosemu.  It looks like pg is my best bet for linux/sql. After
> reading an o'reilly book on pg (_practical postgresql_), not one word
> was mentioned in the procedural language chapter about displaying text.
>   I write complete applications (in foxpro), not just queries and forms.
>
> What am I missing here?  I am not interested in trying to learn C, C++,
> Java, or Perl in order to read sql databases.

Unlike FoxPro, PostgreSQL does not have any kind of user interface
development layer built in.  PL/pgsql is intended to allow you to process
data using procedural logic instead of just a sequence of SQL set-based
statements.  There is no way to write an entire user application purely with
PL/pgsql - the functions you write end up performing specific data
manipulation tasks that are glued together by the caller using a more full
featured programming language.

The book you chose to read is 12 YEARS old; you will find much is not
covered there (or is outright wrong) simply because things have changed
considerably in that time period.

You will have to choose a language to develop your application in and then
use an appropriate database driver for that language to connect to your
PostgreSQL instance.  It is quite probable you could even continue using
Foxpro and simply connect to PostgreSQL via ODBC.

I would suggest you first read large portions of the current documentation -
you will find that few introductory books on PostgreSQL exist because the
documentation itself is well written.  That is not to say that newer books
targeting newcomers do not exist...

David J.