Corrupt index stopping autovacuum system wide - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Aaron Pelz
Subject Corrupt index stopping autovacuum system wide
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello,

Over the weekend we noticed that our max transaction IDs have been continuously increasing - got an alert it passed 1B - and we believe that no autovacuums were running for a period of about a month by looking at pg_stat_user_tables. We had not updated any autovac tuning parameters over that time period and many tables were very much over the threshold for needing an autovac.

When investigating I located the table with the oldest transaction ID with:

SELECT c.oid::regclass as table_name,
        greatest(age(c.relfrozenxid),age(t.relfrozenxid)) as age,
        pg_size_pretty(pg_table_size(c.oid)) as table_size,
        c.relkind,
        c.relpersistence
FROM pg_class c
LEFT JOIN pg_class t ON c.reltoastrelid = t.oid
WHERE c.relkind in ('r', 't','m')
order by age desc limit 40;

I vacuumed that table manually with `vacuum freeze verbose table_xx` and got this error:

INFO:  aggressively vacuuming "public.table_xx"
INFO:  scanned index "table_xx_pkey" to remove 168443 row versions
DETAIL:  CPU: user: 0.13 s, system: 0.00 s, elapsed: 0.13 s
INFO:  scanned index "table_xx_col_id" to remove 168443 row versions
DETAIL:  CPU: user: 0.16 s, system: 0.00 s, elapsed: 0.16 s
ERROR:  failed to re-find parent key in index "table_xx_col_idx" for deletion target page 217

I replaced the index (create a new concurrently, delete the old concurrently), vacuumed the table, and immediately autovacs started across the system and our XIDs started falling. To me it looks like a *single* corrupt index held up autovacuums across our entire server, even other in other databases on the same server. Am I interpreting this correctly? Would love guidance on diagnosing this type of thing and strategies for preventing it.

Thanks,
Aaron