Re: [NOVICE] Re: [NOVICE] Re: [NOVICE] Problems with ñ and tildes / CSV import problems in PostgreSQL 9.1 - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Michael Swierczek
Subject Re: [NOVICE] Re: [NOVICE] Re: [NOVICE] Problems with ñ and tildes / CSV import problems in PostgreSQL 9.1
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 12:05 PM, Zach Seaman <znseaman@gmail.com> wrote:

> Keeping the names, in tact, would be helpful. Whatever I change it to, I receive the same error because of the first
entry.

> I've encoded the csv using Notepad++ to UTF8 and still no luck.
>
> I think "á" followed by the next 2 characters causes the problem. Is there a better encoding for special characters?
Isthis possible in WIN-1252?

Zach,
I've been bitten by this misunderstanding myself.   Changing the file
encoding in Notepad++  just changes a few bytes at the very beginning
of the file to indicate that it's supposed to be read as your new
encoding.  It does not automatically go through the file converting
character like "à" from its 224 (decimal) character value in LATIN1
encoding to the U+00E0 UTF-8 equivalent.   Maybe some other text
editors support actually re-encoding the characters in the file for
you, I don't know.

Good luck,
-Mike Swierczek