Re: \describe* - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ryan Murphy
Subject Re: \describe*
Date
List pgsql-hackers

>What I propose is in fact a server command, >which at least three of
>the other popular RDBMSs already have.
Well to actually implement it, it would probably be a client command, because that's what \d* are.  We would most likely want them implemented the same, to avoid needless complexity.

I think people are more ok with \describe (with the backslash), which seems like what you're suggesting anyway.  I read Vik's "hard pass" as being on having DESCRIBE which looks like an SQL command but would actually be implemented on the client.  This seems simpler at first but could cause deep confusion later.

But \describe gives a hint that it's different with the \, so it might be fine.

Overall I agree with your idea: the \d* commands are cryptic and a longhand form would help people learning.

Best,
Ryan