Re: Sharing data between stored functions? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From inspector morse
Subject Re: Sharing data between stored functions?
Date
Re: Sharing data between stored functions?  (Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>)
List pgsql-general
I'm confused with what Igor said. He said to create the temporary table with "on commit preseve rows" but in the documentation it states that when a session ends (like after each request in a web application when not using persistent connections), the temporary table would automatically be dropped.

Just to test it, I created the following in a new session:
CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE http_querystring_values (key TEXT NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY, value TEXT NOT NULL) ON COMMIT DELETE ROWS;

However, none of the other sessions can find this table. This is correct according to the documentation.

Is there any reason why Postgresql does not implement the SQL standard's version of GLOBAL temporary tables?

I also don't like the idea of passing the "state" around to functions. I'd rather just query a table OR read some global variable. The JSON /HSTORE syntax looks horrible, I just like to stick with the simplicity of a table.