Re: Sharing data between stored functions? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Sharing data between stored functions?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 03/05/2015 07:37 AM, inspector morse wrote:
> I'm confused with what Igor said. He said to create the temporary table
> with "on commit preseve rows" but in the documentation it states that
> when a session ends (like after each request in a web application when
> not using persistent connections), the temporary table would
> automatically be dropped.
>
> Just to test it, I created the following in a new session:
> CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE http_querystring_values (key TEXT NOT NULL
> PRIMARY KEY, value TEXT NOT NULL) ON COMMIT DELETE ROWS;
>
> However, none of the other sessions can find this table. This is correct
> according to the documentation.
>
> Is there any reason why Postgresql does not implement the SQL standard's
> version of GLOBAL temporary tables?
>
> I also don't like the idea of passing the "state" around to functions.
> I'd rather just query a table OR read some global variable. The JSON
> /HSTORE syntax looks horrible, I just like to stick with the simplicity
> of a table.

So create a permanent session table and assign session keys. Strangely
enough that is one of the ways Django(web framework does it):)  I know
you want to build your set up, but this is a solved problem. It is
solved because people ran into the issues you already have encountered
and are yet to encounter and realized that common problems led to common
solutions. Given that you want to reinvent the wheel I would suggest
spending time looking at the other wheels out there and borrow from them.

> On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 10:18 AM, Adrian Klaver
> <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com <mailto:adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 03/05/2015 07:10 AM, Merlin Moncure wrote:
>
>         On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 8:58 AM, Igor Neyman
>         <ineyman@perceptron.com <mailto:ineyman@perceptron.com>> wrote:
>
>             From: pgsql-general-owner@__postgresql.org
>             <mailto:pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org>

Adrian Klaver