Re: Hash partitioning, what function is used to compute the hash? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Lewis
Subject Re: Hash partitioning, what function is used to compute the hash?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 3:13 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 2020-May-11, Michael Lewis wrote:

> Afaik, hash partition doesn't have real world expected use cases just yet.

I don't think I agree with this assertion.

I didn't mean to be critical at all, or even make a statement of fact. Just sharing my impression. I typically view partitioning from the perspective of multi-tenancy and with the restrictions on primary keys & partition keys, I can't typically use partitioning except for audit logging tables and then range partitions make the most sense there because of doing backups and dropping the oldest data. Perhaps it is just that hash has never been the right tool for my use cases. I'd love to know some real life examples of when hash partitioning was the best option.