Re: New PostgreSQL T-Shirt - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Gabriele Bartolini
Subject Re: New PostgreSQL T-Shirt
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Ciao!

Fabio just did his best to promote PostgreSQL and celebrate the 20th anniversary here in Brazil, specially because tomorrow will start the FISL (International Free Software Forum) here in Porto Alegre and we organize a PGDay [1] inside the event to celebrate the 20th anniversary and also the 10th anniversary of the Brazilian Community.

I was undecided whether to answer or not but since this thread is taking a turn that does not serve the community, I feel compelled to respond. Unfortunately, I feel that it must be noted that apart from Simon and Joshua, no one thought of me. This is not a problem for me, however, I wish that everything had not been taken so seriously and everyone could move on without hard feelings, I feel that the discussion has gone far enough.

First of all, I believe Fabio in his desire to promote PostgreSQL in Brazil through this cause and not for personal gain. Unfortunately, however, I believe that Fabio approached the situation in a frivolous/naive way. I will try and explain better: Once he saw my photo on Twitter with the ACID shirt (https://twitter.com/_GBartolini_/status/657515128091471873), he could have taken the time to contact me and explain the project so that I could evaluate it and possibly be an active participant in the project (just an example: Rubens, a colleague in 2ndQuadrant Italy, is from Brazil and he would have enjoyed participating in this effort). Unfortunately, this did not happen, but again, this is not a problem for me.

To avoid any confusion, I never thought, in any way, to act on a legal level (what for? also, because the clear reference to AC/DC was the main reason why we had to delay the public release of the design). However, there is no question in the fact that I am personally disappointed that I learned of it only after the fact versus being contacted directly, because the design is important to me personally.

Among other things, in reference to the idea from ​​Damien of the "Keep Calm and Use Postgres" design, I can hardly keep the two situations on the same level and I would like to share my personal opinion on this. Playing the electric guitar is my favourite hobby and AC/DC (also combined with my strong bond with Australia) is one of my favourite rock bands. Last year I was at a conference in Milan to make a presentation on PostgreSQL and after I finished the slides, while listening to AC/DC (obviously), I slipped in the shower. I started singing a refrain of AC/DC and I had the vision of ACID ;)

Everyone on the Italian team liked the idea and we DECIDED together to commission the original work to our graphic designer Valentino, who designed the entire graphic from scratch. We all loved it and pursued the idea of making the t-shirt, which was intended for our use only. We all wore it with pride at PGConf.eu 2015 and received excellent feedback. Some people even approached me and asked to buy the rights for the design, but due to the personal nature of the concept and the artwork, I have always struggled with this idea.

So, now you may say: so what? Well, I have simply decided to share my view on this. My goal is not for anyone in this list to take my side or Fabio's, but rather learn from this incident for the future. I know that Simon's initial reaction was to defend my position (and I thank him for that) and because he knows how much I care about that shirt and about how much we have invested in it (creativity, time, money, etc.).

What we all want is a bright future for PostgreSQL and our global community. And I am happy that people enjoyed the fun design of the shirt!

Finally, some advice I always keep in mind, which describes once again my personality (and somehow explains the t-shirt as well): Don't take things too seriously. There is no need to waste time this way, we have lots of things to do for the community so let's try and make better use of our time.

Thanks,
Gabriele
--
 Gabriele Bartolini - 2ndQuadrant Italia - Director
 gabriele.bartolini@2ndQuadrant.it | www.2ndQuadrant.it