Re: Proposal: Incremental Backup - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gabriele Bartolini
Subject Re: Proposal: Incremental Backup
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi Marco,

> With the current full backup procedure they are backed up, so I think
> that having them backed up with a rsync-like algorithm is what an user
> would expect for an incremental backup.

Exactly. I think a simple, flexible and robust method for file based
incremental backup is all we need. I am confident it could be done for
9.5.

I would like to quote every single word Simon said. Block level
incremental backup (with Robert's proposal) is definitely the ultimate
goal for effective and efficient physical backups. I see file level
incremental backup as a very good "compromise", a sort of intermediate
release which could nonetheless produce a lot of benefits to our user
base, for years to come too.

Thanks,
Gabriele