Re: Proposal: Incremental Backup - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Benedikt Grundmann
Subject Re: Proposal: Incremental Backup
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 6:29 PM, Gabriele Bartolini <gabriele.bartolini@2ndquadrant.it> wrote:
Hi Marco,

> With the current full backup procedure they are backed up, so I think
> that having them backed up with a rsync-like algorithm is what an user
> would expect for an incremental backup.

Exactly. I think a simple, flexible and robust method for file based
incremental backup is all we need. I am confident it could be done for
9.5.

I would like to quote every single word Simon said. Block level
incremental backup (with Robert's proposal) is definitely the ultimate
goal for effective and efficient physical backups. I see file level
incremental backup as a very good "compromise", a sort of intermediate
release which could nonetheless produce a lot of benefits to our user
base, for years to come too.

Thanks,
Gabriele

I haven't been following this discussion closely at all. But at Janestreet we have been using pg_start_backup together with rsync --link-dest (onto a big NFS) to achieve incremental stored backup.  In our experience this works very well, it is however advisable to look into whatever is used to serve the NFS as we had to set some options to increase the maximum number of hardlinks.

Cheers,

Bene