Re: Version question - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Christopher BROWN
Subject Re: Version question
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Hello,

I would recommend aligning with database versioning scheme (so 9.5.x) ; it would have been clearer from the start if the version numbers had never been close, but any change now seems arbitrary and confusing (even if I prefer semantic versioning in general).

Regarding semantic versioning, the "major" component here is the JDBC API, so you can probably disregard A.B -- as in 9.5 -- as a marker saying "we've tried it with that version, and it works".  Then, even if it's not fully compliant with proper semantic versioning, use the C (of A.B.C) as a marker for feature changes, and the trailing qualifier for patches.

For example:

9.4.C.D => any version tested with 9.4.x (backend)
9.5.C.D => tested with 9.5
9.5.1.000 => first build approved for 9.5 backend
9.5.2.000 => like 9.5.1.0 but with feature changes (new packaging, new properties, new capabilities, etc)
9.5.1.001 => like 9.5.1.0 but with bugfixes (with no new features)

The prefixed zeros for "D" enable alphanumerical sorting (with OSGi Version objects, for example), and I personally find it more usable (readable) than 20160314 for example (even if that sorts too ; it doesn't look like a nightly snapshot tag).  And I imagine there'll still be -jre6, -jre7, -jre8 variants to distinguish API target versions.

Hope that helps,
Christopher