Re: [GENERAL] Finally upgrading to 9.6! - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Don Seiler
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Finally upgrading to 9.6!
Date
Re: [GENERAL] Finally upgrading to 9.6!  (Vik Fearing <vik.fearing@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 1:08 PM, Vik Fearing <vik.fearing@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 10/18/2017 05:57 PM, Melvin Davidson wrote:

> I support the policy of using caution with regards to new versions. They
> are often thought of as "bleeding edge" for the reason described by
> David G Johnston. The fact that PostgreSQL 10 was only released this
> month is critical and therefore is should not be a production server. It
> should be used as development, or QA, at best.

No, the Betas and RC should have been used in development and QA.

I disagree with this. It isn't my company's business to test the Postgres software in development, as much as it would be needed and appreciated by the community. We're testing our own applications and processes, and this should be done with a "stable" product, more or less. So I'd only ever think to have them use an official release versus a beta or release candidate.

That said, count me in the same camp with the "Never .0" folks. I'm planning a mass upgrade to 9.6 soon as well and the question was raised as to whether or not to go right to 10.0, and I quickly put that down. Oracle DBAs have a similar rule of thumb with anything less than .2 (Oracle starts at .1).

Don.

--
Don Seiler
www.seiler.us