Ubuntu Unattended Upgrades - Mailing list pgsql-pkg-debian

From Don Seiler
Subject Ubuntu Unattended Upgrades
Date
List pgsql-pkg-debian
Good morning,

Background: Running PG10 on Ubuntu Bionic (18.04).

Last night I noticed one of our prod databases was restarted. Digging deeper it was Ubuntu's unattended-upgrade utility (which we just started using this month) that upgraded it from the PGDG 10.14 package to the Ubuntu 10.15 package.

We had assumed since unattended-upgrade doesn't include PGDG that it wouldnt upgrade the existing packages, but apparently that doesn't prevent it from "upgrading" them to the Ubuntu equivalent, which then also restarts the databases. It seems this is only a problem with postgresql-10 on Ubuntu Bionic since Bionic provides its own postgresql-10 packages.

I'm guessing we should blacklist all postgresql packages in the unattended-upgrades config. I'm wondering if this has been already tackled by anyone else and if there is a more clever solution other than NOT running unattended-upgrades.

Alternatively, is it possible to install the new packages but *NOT* restart the DB automatically? I understand that a DB restart would be required to run on the new version but curious if we could have the packages installed prior and then restart at the next available window (although installation doesn't really take that long, just curious).

--
Don Seiler
www.seiler.us