Re: Ubuntu Unattended Upgrades - Mailing list pgsql-pkg-debian

From Christoph Berg
Subject Re: Ubuntu Unattended Upgrades
Date
List pgsql-pkg-debian
Re: Don Seiler
> We had assumed since unattended-upgrade doesn't include PGDG that it
> wouldnt upgrade the existing packages, but apparently that doesn't prevent
> it from "upgrading" them to the Ubuntu equivalent, which then also restarts
> the databases. It seems this is only a problem with postgresql-10 on Ubuntu
> Bionic since Bionic provides its own postgresql-10 packages.

Hmm, I wasn't aware that Ubuntu's (?) default unattended-upgrades
config makes it upgrade Ubuntu packages only.

> Alternatively, is it possible to install the new packages but *NOT* restart
> the DB automatically? I understand that a DB restart would be required to

You can install a /usr/sbin/policy-rc.d file [1]. That will allow
filtering the start/stop actions issued by package activity.

[1] https://people.debian.org/~hmh/invokerc.d-policyrc.d-specification.txt

> run on the new version but curious if we could have the packages installed
> prior and then restart at the next available window (although installation
> doesn't really take that long, just curious).

Restarting after install is actually the default since a while ago.
(Previously packages were doing stop-upgrade-start.)

Christoph