Re: Mixed Locales and Upgrading - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Don Seiler
Subject Re: Mixed Locales and Upgrading
Date
Re: Mixed Locales and Upgrading
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 4:39 PM Don Seiler <don@seiler.us> wrote:
On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 4:30 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Don Seiler <don@seiler.us> writes:
> Actually, would I need to re-index on text columns that we know contain
> UUID strings? UUID characters seem to be pretty basic alphanumeric ASCII
> characters.

I think you're all right with respect to those, since they're the
same under any encoding.  It's columns containing non-ASCII characters
that you'd want to worry about reindexing.

Follow-up question, the locale setting on the host would still be set to en_US (as would the postgres and template0 databases). Should I look to change that locale on the system to en_US.UTF-8, or even just for the postgres user that the DB cluster runs as? What are the ramification for doing (or not doing) so?

Don.

--
Don Seiler
www.seiler.us