Re: Mixed Locales and Upgrading - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Mixed Locales and Upgrading
Date
List pgsql-general
On 2020-04-07 18:41, Don Seiler wrote:
> Follow-up question, the locale setting on the host would still be set to
> en_US (as would the postgres and template0 databases). Should I look to
> change that locale on the system to en_US.UTF-8, or even just for the
> postgres user that the DB cluster runs as? What are the ramification for
> doing (or not doing) so?

I think the only place where this would really matter is that psql by
default sets the client encoding based on the current OS locale setting.
  So if you don't change the setting to en_US.UTF-8, then you might get
encoding errors when selecting data that is not representable as LATIN1
or whatever.  However, if you change the setting, that doesn't mean your
terminal setup will actually display Unicode correctly.  You said you're
dealing with mostly ASCII-ish data anyway, so it will probably not make
a difference.