Postgresql 9.2.4 - timezone error - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bhushan Pathak
Subject Postgresql 9.2.4 - timezone error
Date
Re: Postgresql 9.2.4 - timezone error  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: Postgresql 9.2.4 - timezone error  (Jerry Sievers <gsievers19@comcast.net>)
Re: Postgresql 9.2.4 - timezone error  (rob stone <floriparob@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
Hello,

I have postgresql 9.2.4 running on a CentOS 5 server. A JBOSS AS instance also runs on the same server, which connects to postgresql server [using defined connection pools].

The issue I'm facing is that the JBOSS server is throwing out the error -
org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: FATAL: invalid value for parameter "TimeZone": "America/New_York"

When I looked up on the internet, most common answer was to execute the following query from CLI which would expose the real problem -

myDB=# SELECT * FROM pg_timezone_names WHERE name = 'America/New_York';
ERROR:  could not stat "/usr/share/zoneinfo/America/New_York": Too many levels of symbolic links

What does this really mean? Why is postgresql complaining for symbolic links? Any ideas what has gone wrong? Any thing that needs checking?

Thanks

Bhushan Pathak