Re: Why format() adds double quote? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dickson S. Guedes
Subject Re: Why format() adds double quote?
Date
List pgsql-hackers

>>> I am sure, so we should not backport this change. This can breaks customer
>>> regress tests - and the current behave isn't 100% correct, but it is safe.
>>
>> Quite.  This is not a bug fix.  It's a behavior change, perhaps for the better.
>
> Added to the commitfest 2016-03.

Hi,

I gone ahead a little and tested this patch and it works like was
proposed, I agree that it's not a bug fix but a new behavior so -1 for
backport.

While applying patch against master
(1129c2b0ad2732f301f696ae2cf98fb063a4c1f8) it offsets two hunks.

Since format() has regression tests I suggest that one should be added
to cover this. It could worth to add the new behavior to the docs,
since there no explicit example for %I.

I performed the follow tests that works as expected using some Portuguese words:

postgres=# create table test (nome varchar, endereço text, "UF"
varchar(2), título varchar);
CREATE TABLE
Time: 80,769 ms
postgres=# select format('%I', attname) from pg_attribute join
pg_class on (attrelid = oid) where relname = 'test'; format
----------"UF"cmaxcminctidendereçonometableoidtítuloxmaxxmin
(10 rows)

Time: 1,728 ms
postgres=# select format('%I', 'endereco'); format
----------endereco
(1 row)

Time: 0,098 ms
postgres=# select format('%I', 'endereço'); format
----------endereço
(1 row)

Time: 0,088 ms
postgres=# select format('%I', 'あああ');format
--------あああ
(1 row)

Time: 0,072 ms
postgres=# select format('%I', 'título');format
--------título
(1 row)

Time: 0,051 ms
postgres=# select format('%I', 'título e');  format
------------"título e"
(1 row)

Time: 0,051 ms
postgres=# select format('%I', 'título_e'); format
----------título_e
(1 row)

Time: 0,051 ms
postgres=# select format('%I', '_título');format
---------_título
(1 row)

Time: 0,047 ms
postgres=# select format('%I', '1_título');  format
(1 row)

Time: 0,046 ms

Thank you for this!

Best regards,