Re: Why format() adds double quote? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tatsuo Ishii
Subject Re: Why format() adds double quote?
Date
Re: Why format() adds double quote?  ("Dickson S. Guedes" <listas@guedesoft.net>)
List pgsql-hackers

>>> Quite.  This is not a bug fix.  It's a behavior change, perhaps for the better.
>>
>> Added to the commitfest 2016-03.
>
> Hi,
>
> I gone ahead a little and tested this patch and it works like was
> proposed, I agree that it's not a bug fix but a new behavior so -1 for
> backport.

IMO, it's a bug or at least an inconsistency but I admit it's too late
to back patch to existing stable branches.

> While applying patch against master
> (1129c2b0ad2732f301f696ae2cf98fb063a4c1f8) it offsets two hunks.
>
> Since format() has regression tests I suggest that one should be added
> to cover this.

I don't think it's doable. The test requires to handle multiple
database encodings. The regression test framework handles only one
database encoding. Probably adding to the existing mb test is the
easiest.

> It could worth to add the new behavior to the docs,
> since there no explicit example for %I.

> I performed the follow tests that works as expected using some Portuguese words:

I assume you used UTF-8 encoding database.
Great.