Re: Compression of full-page-writes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fujii Masao
Subject Re: Compression of full-page-writes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 2:32 PM, KONDO Mitsumasa
<kondo.mitsumasa@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
> (2013/08/30 11:55), Fujii Masao wrote:
>>
>> * Benchmark
>>    pgbench -c 32 -j 4 -T 900 -M prepared
>>    scaling factor: 100
>>
>>    checkpoint_segments = 1024
>>    checkpoint_timeout = 5min
>>    (every checkpoint during benchmark were triggered by
>> checkpoint_timeout)
>
> Did you execute munual checkpoint before starting benchmark?

Yes.

> We read only your message, it occuered three times checkpoint during
> benchmark.
> But if you did not executed manual checkpoint, it would be different.
>
> You had better clear this point for more transparent evaluation.

What I executed was:

-------------------------------------
CHECKPOINT
SELECT pg_current_xlog_location()
pgbench -c 32 -j 4 -T 900 -M prepared -r -P 10
SELECT pg_current_xlog_location()
SELECT pg_xlog_location_diff() -- calculate the diff of the above locations

I repeated this several times to eliminate the noise.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao