Re: [HACKERS] Quorum commit for multiple synchronous replication. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fujii Masao
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Quorum commit for multiple synchronous replication.
Date
Re: [HACKERS] Quorum commit for multiple synchronous replication.  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers

<CAD21AoCcEsjt8t4TWW5oE3g=nu2oMFAiM47YeynpKJMoMdeEPA@mail.gmail.com>

>>> I agree to report NULL as the priority. I'll send a patch for this as well.
>>

>> In the comment,
>
> Thank you for reviewing!
>

>> +      /*
>> +       * The priority appers NULL as it is not used in quorum-based
>> +       * sync replication.
>> +       */
>>
>> appers should be appears. But the comment would be better to be
>> something follows.
>
> Will fix.
>

>> "The priority value is useless for quorum-based sync replication" or
>>
>> "The priority field is NULL for quorum-based sync replication
>>  since the value is useless."
>>
>> Or, or, or.. something other.
>
> Will fix with later part.
>

>> This part,
>>
>> +    if (SyncRepConfig &&
>> +        SyncRepConfig->syncrep_method == SYNC_REP_QUORUM)
>> +        nulls[9] = true;
>> +    else
>> +        values[9] = Int32GetDatum(priority);
>>
>> I looked on how syncrep_method is used in the code and found that
>> it is always used as "== SYNC_REP_PRIORITY" or else. It doesn't
>> matter since currently there's only two alternatives for the
>> variable, but can be problematic when the third alternative comes
>> in.
>
> Agreed.
>

>> Addition to that, SyncRepConfig is assumed != NULL already in the
>> following part.
>>
>> pg_stat_get_wal_senders()@master
>>>  if (priority == 0)
>>>      values[10] = CStringGetTextDatum("async");
>>>  else if (list_member_int(sync_standbys, i))
>>>      values[10] = SyncRepConfig->syncrep_method == SYNC_REP_PRIORITY ?
>>>          CStringGetTextDatum("sync") : CStringGetTextDatum("quorum");
>>>  else
>>>      values[10] = CStringGetTextDatum("potential");
>>
>> So, it could be as the follows.
>>
>>> if (SyncRepConfig->syncrep_method == SYNC_REP_PRIORITY)
>>>     values[9] = Int32GetDatum(priority);
>>> else
>>>     nulls[9] = true;
>>

> I guess we cannot do so. Because in the above part, SyncRepConfig is
> referenced only when synchronous replication is used we can assume
> SyncRepConfig is not NULL there. Perhaps we put a assertion there.
>
> I'll sent updated patch tomorrow.

Thanks!

But on second thought, I don't think that reporting NULL as the priority when
quorum-based sync replication is used is less confusing. When there is async
standby, we report 0 as its priority when synchronous_standby_names is empty
or a priority-based sync replication is configured. But with the patch, when
a quorum-based one is specified, NULL is reported for that.
Isn't this confusing?

I'm thinking that it's less confusing to report always 0 as the priority of
async standby whatever the setting of synchronous_standby_names is.
Thought?

If we adopt this idea, in a quorum-based sync replication, I think that
the priorities of all the standbys listed in synchronous_standby_names
should be 1 instead of NULL. That is, those standbys have the same
(highest) priority, and which means that any of them can be chosen as
sync standby. Thought?

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao