Re: Unintended restart after recovery error - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fujii Masao
Subject Re: Unintended restart after recovery error
Date
Re: Unintended restart after recovery error  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 8:30 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 4:52 PM, Antonin Houska <ah@cybertec.at> wrote:
>> Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Why shouldn't postmaster restart the cluster in that case?
>>>

>> At least for the behavior to be consistent with simpler cases of failed
>> recovery (e.g. any FATAL error in StartupXLOG), which end up not restarting
>> the cluster.
>
> It's true that if the startup process dies we don't try to restart,
> but it's also true that if the checkpointer dies we do try to restart.
> I'm not sure why this specific situation should be an exception to
> that general rule.

442231d7f71764b8c628044e7ce2225f9aa43b6 introduced the latter rule
for hot-standby case. Maybe *during crash recovery* (i.e., hot standby
should not be enabled) it's better to treat the crash of startup process as
a catastrophic crash.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao