Re: Re: Segmentation fault in pg_dumpall from master down to 9.1 and other bug introduced by RLS - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Re: Segmentation fault in pg_dumpall from master down to 9.1 and other bug introduced by RLS
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> writes:
> On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 08:24:36PM -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
>> Agreed.  I'll take care of both and we'll make sure the new role
>> attributes being added will do the same for upgrades also.

> That would make pg_dumpall less faithful for every role other than the
> bootstrap superuser, a net loss.  It would be defensible to do this for
> BOOTSTRAP_SUPERUSERID only.

Huh?  It seems difficult to argue that it's "less faithful" to do this
when the previous version didn't have the concept at all.

> Even there I prefer the current behavior; this is
> just another of many fine details that pg_upgrade reproduces more precisely
> than other pg_dumpall/pg_dump invocations.

So far as catalog contents are concerned, pg_upgrade *is* pg_dumpall.