Re: Extract transaction from WAL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Loftis
Subject Re: Extract transaction from WAL
Date
List pgsql-general

On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 04:56 Jill Jade <jill779ks@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello everyone,

I am new to Postgres and I have a query.

 I have updated a table which I should not have.

 Is there a way to extract the transactions from the WAL and get back the previous data?

Is there a tool that can help to get back the transactions?

The normal way is to use a backup along with point in time recovery. But this requires you’ve setup backups and are archiving WALs F/ex with pgbackrest. You restore the last full backup from before the incident and play back to a time stamp or transaction ID. Either to the original server or elsewhere...in this case I would probably restore elsewhere and extract the data I needed using tools like pg_dump to restore the selected data.

I’m personally unaware of other methods which may exist.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Jill

into trouble of all kinds."