Re: Question About Roles - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gregory Haase
Subject Re: Question About Roles
Date
List pgsql-general

On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 7:50 AM, Rich Shepard <rshepard@appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
On Wed, 2 Jul 2014, David G Johnston wrote:

or if you want to do it as part of creating a new user:

CREATE ROLE new_management_user
[other stuff here]
IN ROLE management;

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/interactive/sql-createrole.html

David,

  I'll have to think deeply about what this is doing. Initially, I read it
as assigning a new user's role to an existing group's role; that's the
opposite of what I want.

Thanks,

Rich

If it made you feel better, remember that CREATE USER is an alias for CREATE ROLE that includes LOGIN by default. So if you simply swap one word in your command, the context becomes a little more clear for what you want:

CREATE USER new_management_user
[other stuff here]
IN ROLE management;

-Greg Haase