Re: Question About Roles - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David G Johnston
Subject Re: Question About Roles
Date
List pgsql-general
Rich Shepard wrote
> On Wed, 2 Jul 2014, David G Johnston wrote:
>
>> or if you want to do it as part of creating a new user:
>>
>> CREATE ROLE new_management_user
>> [other stuff here]
>> IN ROLE management;
>>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/interactive/sql-createrole.html
>
> David,
>
>    I'll have to think deeply about what this is doing. Initially, I read
> it
> as assigning a new user's role to an existing group's role; that's the
> opposite of what I want.

Its the exact same outcome Tom provided, just via a different mechanism...

You want to assign all permissions to the standard group-roles and then have
new users inherit the appropriate permissions via their membership in the
appropriate group-role.

David J.