On How To Shorten The Steep Learning Curve Towards PG Hacking - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kang Yuzhe
Subject On How To Shorten The Steep Learning Curve Towards PG Hacking
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Dear PG Hacker/Experts,

I am newbie to PG Hacking.
I have been reading the PG code base to find my space in it but without success.

There are hundreds of Hands-on with PG Application development on the web.
Alas, there is almost none in PG hacking.

I have found PG source Code reading and hacking to be one the most frustrating experiences in my life.  I believe that PG hacking should not be a painful
Dear PG Hacker/Experts,

I am newbie to PG Hacking.
I have been reading the PG code base to find my space in it but without success.

There are hundreds of Hands-on with PG Application development on the web.
Alas, there is almost none in PG hacking.

I have found PG source Code reading and hacking to be one the most frustrating experiences in my life.  I believe that PG hacking should not be a painful jorney but an enjoyable one!

It is my strong believe that out of my PG hacking frustrations, there may come insights for the PG experts on ways how to devise hands-on with PG internals so that new comers will be great coders as quickly as possible.

I also believe that we should spend our time reading great Papers and Books related to Data Management problems BUT not PG code base.

Here are my suggestion for  the experts to devise ways to shorten the steep learning curve towards PG Hacking.

1. Prepare Hands-on with PG internals

 For example, a complete Hands-on  with SELECT/INSERT SQL Standard PG internals. The point is the experts can pick one fairly complex feature and walk it from Parser to Executor in a hands-on manner explaining step by step every technical detail.

2. Write a book on PG Internals.

There is one book on PG internals. Unfortunately, it's in Chinese.
Why not in English??
It is my strong believe that if there were a great book on PG Internals with hands-on with some of the basic features of PG internals machinery, PG hacking would be almost as easy as PG application development.

If the experts make the newbie understand the PG code base as quickly as possible, that means more reviewers, more contributors and more users of PG which in turn means more PG usability, more PG popularity, stronger PG community.

This is my personal feelings and am the ready to be corrected and advised the right way towards the PG hacking.

Regards,
Zeray

but an enjoyable journey!

Out of PG hacking frustrations, there may come insights for the PG experts on ways how to devise hands-on with PG internals so that new comers will be great coders as quickly as possible.

I also believe that we should spend our time reading great Papers and Books related to Data Management problems BUT not PG code base.

Here are my suggestion for  the experts to devise ways to shorten the steep learning curve towards PG Hacking.

1. Prepare Hands-on with PG internals

 For example, a complete Hands-on  with SELECT/INSERT SQL Standard PG internals. The point is the experts can pick one fairly complex feature and walk it fromfFrom Parser to Executor in a hands-on manner explaining step by step every technical detail.